Saturday, July 30, 2011

Mom 1918-1992

Today Mom would be 93 years old. It's been almost 19 years since her passing but I still feel her closeness everyday. She's such a part of who I am as a person. She influences decisions that I make daily and is a constant balm in my sometimes hectic life. She taught by example the lessons of patience and kindness and remembering promises made. When we were all grown with our own families she still prepared lunch for all of us every Sunday. Myself, my siblings, our spouses and all the grandkids would rendezvous at our parents. There would be card tables set up for games and puzzles, whatever craft projects my sisters and I had going on would be in full swing and the TV would be blaring whatever game was on. Mom would feed us the good old comfort foods. You know the ones - roast and potatoes, fried chicken, smothered steak or, the kids' favorite, Mee Maw's spaghetti!

Here's a really old black and white picture of her shopping in downtown San Antonio in 1939 with her youngest sister "Tweet". Isn't that a cute nickname?

I miss her everyday but especially on this, her special day.

2 comments:

  1. Hillarie, what a beautiful tribute to MeMaw. Just this week, Amanda learned to crochet. She was telling everyone at work about how her great grandma would knit. And how much she loves the blanket that MeMaw made especially for her. And you are so right, no one can top her spaghetti, just ask my girls.

    I can't believe that it has been 19 years since she passed. I am so glad that my girls had the opportunity to know her gentle spirit. I only wish Shelbi would have had more time to spend with her.

    Love you,

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post.

    I always enjoy hearing the stories about Sunday lunch with MeMaw. Since I wasn't old enough to comprehend and remember my time spent with her, these stories are all I have. I have never heard anybody say anything bad about her, which can only mean that she truly was the loving and compassionate person that I hear about in all the stories. I only wish I would have gotten the opportunity to make my own memories with her.

    I love you, Auntie.
    Shelbi (your favorite)

    P.S. The blog looks AMAZING

    ReplyDelete